Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Orleans - Post Mission Thoughts - round 1

It's been over 36 hours since we left the Crescent City, and thoughts are still running though my head. From the conversations in the parking lot upon arrival last night, to church this morning and seeing friends at Summer Spectacular tonight - the question has been: "How was it?" And the answers have not been as easy. It was wonderful, it was painful. It was fun, it was hard. It was worth a million words, and it is impossible to put into those words.
What I've found myself repeating is how much we felt appreciated. Everywhere we went, people asked where we were from, and thanked us for coming to help revive the city. It did not matter where we were - from working in Chalmette, to eating in Metarie, everyone was genuinely grateful for any help that the outsiders were willing to give. Thinking back to three years ago - those are the same responses we got when our 8th graders were there mucking out the houses. This time, those kids are 11th graders and remember the houses in ruin, and the work that would contine for years. We were a unique group - who returned to continue to help.

Several homes were worked on, and several lives were affected - oh not only the local people, but ours too. It was another mission trip that will go into the memory banks, but this one has deeper roots in my heart. I don't think I would ever want to live in New Orleans, or the swamp area of Louisiana, but I do love the people we met there, who do love that city and that swampy land. Home is home to any group (and I'm very thankful to call Fort Worth my home) - and I'm grateful to live in a country that allows and encourages others to help those who need it.
Thanks Dave and Jason, and the leaders of RHCC for allowing me to be part of this trip - and to all the teens, who let an old person invade their trip - and their lives. It was a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment